Saturday, February 19, 2022

Character Representation: Set Design

Another way I want to represent my character’s personality is through set design. Since I’ve decided that the opening will take place in her bedroom, it seems important that this location be reflective of her personality/inner thoughts. 


For inspiration, I looked up the bedrooms of iconic movies to see how they were used to  represent characters/give insight. 


For example, 

Troy Bolton's room from High School Musical reflects his interests in basketball and tells viewers that being an athlete has major significance in his life. As such, his room is able to work as a storytelling device since his basketball career plays a role in the movie's conflict.


Devi’s room from Never Have I Ever reflects a blend of more traditionally Indian details (bright colors, patterns, etc.) and modern western elements (unicorn dabbing, dreamcatcher, etc.) elements. This blend is central to Devi’s character as she is someone who struggles with embracing or rejecting her culture. 


Seeing how the set design can be used to propel storytelling and represent my character I have brainstormed some things that I think I will incorporate into my set design. 


My character is someone who is trying to project this “put-together” image. Due to this, I want her room to be simple and clean. I also think that I should place objects such as self-help books and essential oils/diffusers in her room. I believe these objects will imply to viewers that this peaceful and neat image is inauthentic and purposefully constructed. I think this should be emphasized by posters with quotes that promote her intended lifestyle. In doing so, I think I will be able to communicate that this “image” is not real but a goal. I plan to brainstorm other ways I can represent this juxtaposition in the upcoming weeks.


Sources: 

Colussi, Mary. “24 Teen TV and Movie Bedrooms Ranked from ‘Eh’ to ‘I Would Live Here as an Adult.’” BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed, 2 Aug. 2021, https://www.buzzfeed.com/marycolussi/tv-and-movie-teen-bedrooms-ranked. 

Mendelsohn, Hadley. “The 20 Most Unforgettable Teen Bedrooms in Movies and TV.” House Beautiful, House Beautiful, 3 Mar. 2021, https://www.housebeautiful.com/design-inspiration/g33012624/best-teen-bedrooms-in-movies-and-tv/. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Product!

I know you’re probably sick and tired of hearing me talk about my project without letting you actually see the whole thing. But don’t worry,...