Thursday, February 24, 2022

Locations: Bedroom #1 vs. Bedroom #2

 When coming up with the story for my opening, I imagined that it would take place in my main character’s bedroom. I thought this place would be best since I want her personality to make a strong impression. Since a person’s bedroom is so personal, her identity could be revealed by its decor, color, etc. My house has two bedrooms that I could use to film so I decided to do some research to help me narrow down my choices. 


After reading, “Location Scouting Guide: How to Scout Locations for a Film” I have determined the two most important ways to determine which room I will film in.  


  1. Aesthetic: Does the space match the description and my vision for the opening?


  1. Environment: Examine natural light/interior light/and any ambient sound that can interfere with the audio of my filming. 


The way the article recommended I find these things is by taking photos and videos from all angles of the room. 


Room #1

      

     

  • This room has a window on the far side of the desk so while the sun is out, there is no glare. Overall, the natural lighting is good. 

  • The room also has many of the colors I wanted to incorporate into my character’s color scheme. 

  • There are also multiple lamps in addition to an overhead light fixture. 

  • There is a desk and a bookshelf which I imagined being present in the opening. 

  • There is no noise from the front of the house. 

  • Fits the simple vibe I wanted more than room #2.



Room #2

   

  • The room has really strong natural light but there will be a slight glare as the desk is right next to the window

  • Does not really fit the organized/minimalist vibe I want. 

  • There is no overhead light fixture but there are two lamps for artificial light. 

  • There is a desk and a bookshelf which I had imagined to be present in the opening. 

  • The room is on the back of the house so there is sometimes noise from the neighbor’s kids playing.


The second room seems to have more cons than pros so I have decided to use room #1 as my filming location.


Sources:

MasterClass. “Location Scouting Guide: How to Scout Locations for a Film - 2022.”     

MasterClass, MasterClass, 7 Sept. 2021, 

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-scout-locations-for-a-film#7-tips-for-location-scouting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Product!

I know you’re probably sick and tired of hearing me talk about my project without letting you actually see the whole thing. But don’t worry,...