Thursday, February 17, 2022

Representation Research

 Movies of the coming of age genre focus on the vulnerable part of life that is the transitional period from childhood to adulthood. This period of time is generally marked to be ages 12 to 18. According to the article, “Identity vs. Role Confusion in Psychosocial Development” psychoanalyst Erik Erikson found that this stage of development is marked by the search for identity. (Where do I belong? Who am I? What should I believe in?). Due to this uncertainty, this stage may be characterized by insecurity and low self confidence. As such, many preteens and teens can fall victim to trying to pretend to be something they are not in their search for belonging/validation. 

Here is the article if you want to read more about this stage of development: 
https://www.verywellmind.com/identity-versus-confusion-2795735

This transitional period affects females and males in different ways. I have decided to focus my research more on the effect on females since I know I want my protagonist to be a girl. 


Through my research, I have found that for girls reaching maturity, there seems to be immense outside/societal pressures. A major pressure being the emphasis on a “perfect” outward appearance (fit body, makeup, overall well put-together etc.).


Here are just some of the videos I found that speak on this subject:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGOLYMkdYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mP5RveA_tk

 Teen girls talk about the pressures of societal beauty standards forced on them at a young age by social media as well as how this has affected them. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9da6eqaqg

Reshma Saujani shares how young girls are taught to avoid risk while boys are encouraged to  and the effect this has on self-confidence as well as opportunities down the line. 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJQBjWYDTs

Dove tackles the harmful stereotypes around girls and the impact they have on self-confidence during puberty/later in life. 


This research has certainly given me greater insight into the difficulties of girls in this age group. It has also helped me develop my protagonist as I have a better understanding of what her emotional conflict could be. She is someone who has put up a persona so as to appear “perfect” and gain outside validation. Despite this, she cannot always keep this “act” up and her internal struggle comes from her ideal self vs her true self. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Product!

I know you’re probably sick and tired of hearing me talk about my project without letting you actually see the whole thing. But don’t worry,...